The Second Pinal County Courthouse was built in 1890-91 replacing the First Pinal County Courthouse which was built in 1877-78. Mr. James Miller Creighton was selected by the County Board of Supervisors to design and supervise the construction of the new courthouse. Mr. Creighton is considered the founder of the architectural profession in Arizona. He designed many houses, schools, and other commercial buildings throughout Arizona. His accomplishments were remarkable for a person that had no formal architectural education. The Second Pinal County Courthouse was constructed by A.J. Doran in association with T.A. Adams for a total cost, including the jail, of $34,765. The courthouse contained a sheriff’s office, jail, courtroom, and offices for the assessor, treasurer, recorder, and supervisors. In 1899 Pearl Hart, Arizona’s best known woman outlaw was held in the Pinal Courthouse jail for robbing the Florence-Globe Stage. Learn more...
Years of Restoration and the Final Reveal
The 1891 Second Pinal County Courthouse is a noteworthy example of the American-Victorian style and of nineteenth century construction technology on the Southwestern Frontier. The courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 2, 1978. Until 2003, it remained the oldest public building still in use and is one of Arizona’s most irreplaceable historic properties.
The courthouse has gone through years of construction to bring it to the total net area of 22,449 net square feet. In 1917 the first and second floor additions were completed adding 840 net square feet to each floor. The addition completed in 1933 added another 2,113 net square feet to the building. In 1975 another 2,680 net square feet was added. Then again in 1983 another 2,094 net square feet was added. Restoration of the clock tower, roof. Learn more...
New home for the Board of Supervisors
As we move into the 21st century and celebrate Arizona’s 100th birthday we can reflect on the history of Pinal County and those who have served as the Board of Supervisors. The renovation of the 1891 Courthouse will provide additional office space to accommodate five (5) supervisors and related offices.