Applying for a Permit

PERMITTING in a floodplain is a relatively painless experience if you are prepared with a properly filled out building application, an accurately scaled site plan showing your building location and any washes on your property, and a grading and drainage plan if you are planning to excavate or fill any large quantities of ground around the home. A Floodplain Use Permit is also required to document building in a floodplain and contains any specific requirements for floodplain construction. Once you have received a floodplain determination two items must be identified at the onset of the permit submittal. First, in which floodplain is your home or structure located and secondly, are you building a conventional building or a manufactured home? State of Arizona adds one foot to the BFE to determine an RFE (Regulatory Flood Elevation). This elevation information is written on an elevation certificate based on construction drawings. If the home is located in an AO or AE zone, the BFE is noted on the FIRM and this number may be used as the requirement for the elevation of either the lowest floor if the building is a conventional structure, or the bottom of the frame of a manufactured home. This information is stamped on the site plan, any construction plans submitted, and passed through the system just as a normal permit would be. Prior to the final inspection of the home, a “finished construction” elevation certificate will be required and completed by a registered land surveyor or engineer verifying that the home was indeed elevated in accordance with the floodplain elevation requirements.

An applicant may receive a clarification from the Pinal County Flood Control District of its interpretation or application of a statute, ordinance, regulation, executive order, delegation agreement or authorized substantive policy statement as provided in A.R.S. Section 48-3649.

To apply for a Floodplain Use Permit, please download and complete the following application:

 Manufactured Homes in Floodplains

Installing a new or replacement manufactured home within a floodplain requires many steps to complete successfully.  In addition to obtaining a floodplain use permit and manufactured home permit from Pinal County, property owners must also obtain a permit from the Arizona Office of Manufactured Housing.  Here are the typical steps that must be taken to properly permit and install your new home:

  1. Contact the Pinal County Flood Control District at 520-866-6411 or at to see if a base flood elevation or depth has been determined for your property.
  2. Hire an engineering to develop a foundation plan for the home that complies with the Pinal County Floodplain Ordinance, the elevation requirements, and all applicable Manufactured Home Regulations.  The engineer needs to also complete a pre-construction elevation certificate.  Alternatively you can have a surveyor complete the elevation certificate that goes along with the plans.  A temporary benchmark should be placed on the property to ensure that the foundation is built up high enough and/or so the installer knows how high the home needs to be.
  3. Apply for a Floodplain Use Permit with Pinal County and submit your plans and elevation certificate for review.
  4. If the plans and elevation are acceptable you will received an acceptance letter from the Flood Control District.  You will then need to apply for a manufactured home permit with the state of Arizona. 
  5. If the state of Arizona approves your plans you will need to bring three approved copies of back to Pinal County and your Floodplain Use Permit will be issued.
  6. Install the home following the plans and receive the required inspections by Pinal County Staff
  7. Call the surveyor back out to the property to complete a final construction elevation certificate.  Submit a copy of the elevation certificate to Pinal County for Review.
  8. Once the elevation certificate is approved you will get your electrical clearance or certificate for occupancy.