POSITION SUMMARY: Performs security work of routine difficulty in the supervision, care and welfare of inmates; performs other work as required or assigned. This is a Working/Journey position, which works under general supervision. Positions at this level are assigned a broad range of duties in the occupation. The employee uses judgment in selecting appropriate guidelines and in applying general policies and procedures. Significant deviations from established work processes require prior approval. The work produced and decisions made affect non-routine operations of the work unit. The employee applies knowledge to diversified subject matter, requiring some judgment in applying established procedures and guidelines.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: The duties listed below are examples of the work typically performed by employees in this class. An employee may not be assigned all duties listed and may be assigned duties which are not listed below. Marginal duties (shown in italics) are those that are least likely to be essential functions for any single position in this class.
Controls and supervises the movement and activities of inmates.
- Maintains the safety and physical security of the facility.
- Supervises visitations.
- Conducts inventories of detention supplies and commodities.
- Distributes and collects all incoming and outgoing mail.
- Maintains detention records.
- Performs routine clerical duties including maintaining detention statistics and records, and preparing reports.
- Transports inmates.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: The knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below are required to allow the employee to perform the duties listed above at the Working/Journey level.
- Report preparation and record keeping.
- Standard housekeeping practices.
- Human behavior and various social, economic, and cultural backgrounds.
- Search, transportation, and restraint procedures.
- Practices and procedures as applied to a detention facility.
- Basic bookkeeping.
- Maintain records and reports.