County Home  |  Online Services  |  Visitors  |  Jobs  |  Government  |  Economic Development

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to....?
All costs concerning your pets or other matters with Animal Care and Control can be found here.

[back to top]
Why do I have to license my dog?
State law requires all dogs over the age of three months to be vaccinated against rabies. The license requirement is to allow city or county agencies to ensure that the dog has a current rabies vaccination. It also gives animal control agencies a way to identify the owner of an impounded animal so they can get the animal back home.

[back to top]
My dog always stays in my house, does it have to be licensed?
Yes. All dogs over the age of three months, regardless if they never leave the yard. You would be surprised how many animals are impounded every month and the owner says, "But it has never been out before!"

[back to top]
How do I get a license?
You must have a copy of a current rabies vaccination certificate from a licensed veterinarian that is good for at least one year. You can come to the administrative office/shelter at 1150 S. Eleven Mile Corner Road, Casa Grande, AZ and buy your license there. Or you can mail the vaccination certificate to the office along with the license fee and the license will be mailed to you.
  Animal Care and Control
1150 S. Eleven Mile Corner Rd
  Casa Grande, AZ 85194

[back to top]
How much does a license cost?
Unaltered Dog: $35.00
Altered Dog (1 year): $15.00
Altered Dog (3 year)-Must have 3yr Vaccine: $35.00
Senior Citizen 1YR. (62YRS *Owner ID Required) - Altered Dog: $6.00
Senior Citizen 3YR. (62YRS *Owner ID Required) - Altered Dog: $15.00
Late Fee: $5.00 per month
Replacement Fee: $10.00

[back to top]
Do cats need to have licenses?
If you are a resident of the unincorporated area of Pinal County, your cat does not need to be licensed. Some cities or towns do require cats to be licensed.

[back to top]
Can I buy a Pinal County license at Apache Junction or Casa Grande Animal Control?
Yes. Customer service representatives in three of Pinal County’s One Stop service centers are now able to take pet licensure applications. There are One Stop locations for pet licenses in Maricopa, Apache Junction and Casa Grande.

Locations are:
City of Maricopa- Maricopa Wells Veterinary Hospital
41620 W. Maricopa Casa Grande Highway #101
Maricopa, AZ 85239
Weekdays 8:00AM to 6:00PM

Apache Junction
575 North Idaho Road, Suite 800
Thursday 8:30AM - 3:30PM
Animal Care & Control Shelter & Adoption Center
1150 South Eleven Mile Corner Road
Monday thru Friday
10:00AM to 6:00 PM
10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Sunday - Closed

[back to top]
What happens if my dog or cat bites someone?
In accordance to Arizona Revised Statute (A.R.S 11-1014), an unvaccinated dog or cat that bites any person shall be confined and quarantined in a county pound or, on request of and at the expense of the owner, at a veterinary hospital for a period of not less than ten days. The quarantine period shall start on the day of the bite incident. If the day of the bite is not known, the quarantine period shall start on the first day of impoundment. At the end of ten days, the owner can take the animal home after paying the quarantine impound fee.

[back to top]
Does my dog have to be quarantined at the shelter?
No. Another option is to quarantine the dog at a vet hospital. Animal Care and Control must transport the dog to the vet with the total cost going to the owner of the animal.

[back to top]
Can I give my dog a rabies vaccination myself?
No. Arizona state law requires that a rabies vaccination be administered by a licensed veterinarian and a copy of the vaccination certificate be forwarded to the appropriate animal control agency.

[back to top]
Can I give my dog or cat other vaccinations, like parvo, distemper, corona, etc. myself?
Yes. You can purchase these various vaccinations through pet supply companies or from local feed stores. Rabies vaccinations can only be administered by a licensed veterinarian.

[back to top]
Why should I have to have an animal spayed or neutered when I adopt from Animal Care and Control?
Arizona State requires that all shelters who do adoptions have a sterilization program in effect. The problem of stray and unwanted animals can only be reduced by eliminating unwanted litters of puppies and kittens.

[back to top]
Where do you keep the animals?
Animal Care and Control operates two shelters. The first location would be our main shelter located at 1150 S. Eleven Mile Corner Road, Casa Grande, AZ. The second location is located in San Manuel, AZ near the Sheriff's Posse Arena at 27390 S. Veterans Memorial Blvd.

[back to top]
What is a microchip and why do all dogs and cats adopted from Animal Care and Control have one?
A microchip is a small identification device about the size of a grain of rice that is implanted on a animal's back just under the skin at the base of the neck. Animal control agencies or shelters who might take possession of a stray animal can scan the animal with a hand held scanner to help locate the animal's owners. It is another avenue to reunite pets and owners. The chip used by Animal Care and Control is the Data Mars brand. It is also a method to prove ownership if your animal is stolen, since it cannot be removed like a collar and tags.

[back to top]
I moved to the country to let my dog run free. Why do I have to pen it up?
The State of Arizona requires that all dogs be confined to their property or be on a leash if not on the owner's property. It is commonly known as a "leash law" and exists throughout the entire state. The Pinal County Animal Control Ordinance reflects that same requirement.

[back to top]
Is the shelter open on Saturday?
Yes. The shelter is open on Saturdays between the hours of 10:00am - 4:00pm.

[back to top]
Is it legal for an owner to chain up his/her dog?
Yes. It is legal. It is not the best choice and the owner is responsible for making sure the dog is not chained in an area or in such a way that it can get entangled with other objects or tangle it's chain. The dog must be able to reach food, water and adequate shelter at all times with the chain being at least 6 feet in length.

[back to top]
Is a dog house adequate for shelter?
That depends. If you are providing shelter from the rain, yes. However, in this area when we are experiencing high summer temperatures, the dog is not able to get relief from the sun by laying in an oven-like dog house. There must be shade that is provided at all hours of the day, has adequate ventilation and is large enough for the animal to stand up and turn around.

[back to top]
I have a problem with stray or feral cats. What can I do?
Keep in mind cats are legally free roaming in the State of Arizona, however, Animal Care and Control rents out cat traps. These are live traps that do not injure the cat. There is a $35.00 rental fee for the trap for a period of seven days and a $20.00 impound fee per cat. If a person captures a cat in the trap, they bring it (still in the trap) to the office at 1150 S. Eleven Mile Corner Road, Casa Grande, AZ. Traps are not to be set on weekends, summer months or holidays. For safety of the animal, traps are not rented out during heat advisories.

[back to top]
Do I have to give my name and address if I file an animal control complaint?
No. It is helpful to officers to have that information so they can check with the complainant if they need further details. However, unless reporting a barking complaint it is not required.

[back to top]
If I find a stray, what should I do?
If you have found a stray dog or cat, please contact Animal Care and Control and report it. Please make sure you call the animal control agency representing the city or area you have found the animal. If you cannot bring the animal into our facility, we ask that you hold that animal for 24 hours in hopes the owner will be found. Only then will we send an Officer to pick up the found animal. If you wish to keep the animal, you may but ONLY if the owner can contact you to retrieve their lost pet, otherwise we prefer the animal stay with us until the 3 day mandatory waiting period is up. Then you may adopt the animal yourself. Please note Animal Care and Control DOES NOT pick up stray or roaming cats.

[back to top]
If I have found a lost pet and the owner does not call, can I keep it?
In Arizona, the law states that if you keep a dog or cat and care for it for six consecutive days, you automatically become the owner of the animal. This means you will be legally required to license and vaccinate the animal as well as feed, water and shelter the animal. It is always wise for you to contact Animal Care and Control to report finding the animal in case the original owner comes along to claim the animal. That way you have proof as to the length of time it has been in your possession should the original owner come along at a later date and want the animal back.

[back to top]

Pinal County Government Web Disclaimer