County Home  |  Online Services  |  Visitors  |  Jobs  |  Government  |  Economic Development

Department Information

expandAir Quality
expandAZ State Trust & BLM Land
If any part of your event is located on Arizona State Trust Land or Bureau of Land Management property, you will be required to procure the necessary permits through the departments of these entities. If you are not sure whether or not your event is on State Trust or BLM land, please contact either the Special Event Coordinator or one of the offices listed below.

If your event is located on Arizona State Trust Land, just be aware that this is not considered public land, and you will be required to obtain a recreational permit for your event, and possibly other permits from this department depending on the nature of your event.

If your event is located on land managed by the Bureau of Land Management, it is wise to contact this office to make sure you are not required to have a recreational permit, or that there are no restrictions in the area of interest for your event.

It is very important that you respect our State and Nationally managed open spaces since these vast areas are used by many animals, protected and otherwise, as well as citizens and visitors to the United States. These special lands must be treated with great care, and preserved as natural desert, wetlands, or mountainous regions in order to protect the integrity of our beautiful natural Arizona environment. Please leave the land just as you found it, or better yet, leave it better than you found it! Make sure all trash is removed, no land has been cleared of natural vegetation, washes have not been disturbed, hillsides are intact, and the peace and beauty of the desert remain is as if your event has never occurred in this location.
expandBoard of Supervisors
expandBuilding Safety
One question you need to ask yourself during the planning stage for your special event, is what kind of structures or small buildings will you construct or use for your activity? It is very important to consider how buildings, stages, tents, booths, carnival rides, and even fences may require an inspection from a trained Pinal County building inspector. You certainly would not want any type of structural or electrical connection to cause harm to participants, or delay the event because of improper installation.

Here are some questions to consider:
  • Will you be using any buildings or temporary structures?
  • Will you have any electrical needs, such as generators, propane tanks, extension cords?
  • Is there any camping on the site? For more than one day?
  • Are there any tents of any kind on site, and if so, what are they made of and how large are they? Do you have any material specifications on the tents?
  • Is there any on-site cooking? Any propane? Any sinks for washing? Where are your restroom facilities?
You will need to show any of these items listed above on the site plan you submit with your Special Event application. This site plan is very important. It’s the “picture” of how you will lay out your event including all structures and devices that could potentially cause harm to the public attending your event.
expandEmergency Contingency Plan
expandPlanning Division
The Planning Department will require a site plan showing all pertinent features of your event site as well as a signed authorization form from the owner of the property on which your event takes place. The authorization form can also be a contract with the owner, an email stating that the event is allowed on the owner's property, or a written letter signed by the owner or manager of the property. (Oftentimes the owner will want to be included as an additional insured on the insurance liablity certificate).

Here’s a list of a few items which may be required on a site plan:
  • Roads and locations of parking lots
  • Porta potties
  • Stages, tents, carnival rides
  • Heli-ports
  • Booths for vendors showing generators and propane
  • Central emergency station, first aid station
  • Barricades
  • Camp grounds and shower facilities
  • Train tracks
  • Major washes
  • Any other features which will affect the public in any way
This site plan may be used for Building Safety, Emergency Management, Public Works, the Sheriff’s Department, and numerous other County Departments and outside agencies who rely on an accurate site plan to determine whether or not your event will meet requirements for safe traffic flow, equipment locations, utility locations, and many other factors.
expandPublic Health
Kortney Seaton
expandPublic Works

Whenever you are impacting any county roads with your event, Public Works may require that you provide the following:

·        Site map/route map of event including date and time of event.

·         Traffic control plan in concurrence with the latest edition of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).  Include the name and number of the person responsible for the set up and maintenance of traffic control.

·        Will need a written traffic control plan and a aerial map showing the setup of traffic control, and where all the signs and cones will be located.

·         Proof of insurance.

·         Contact information for event emergency contact.

If you need to rent barricades or signage, you must do this on your own. Public Works does not loan out equipment.

Note: Pinal County does not close down county roads for special events. If you are having a parade you must make accommodations for a detour after approval by Public Works. If you are having a block party or neighborhood event, neither the Sheriff's Department nor Public Works will authorize a road closure.
Road clearing and weed removal:

Jim Higgenbotham

expandRisk Management Insurance

Jerika Brannon at 520-866-7924

expandSheriff's Department
The Sheriff's Department is often an integral support unit for any Special Event. Pinal County is regionalized into two areas, each with a Lieutenant or Deputy in charge. If your event requires special traffic control such as in the case of a parade, or if you anticipate large numbers of pedestrians or vehicles entering and exiting your site, it is wise to contract with the Sheriff's Department for aid in both traffic control and security. Here are some examples of when you might need to hire off-duty Officers:
  • Events involving large groups of people with alcohol present
  • Parades, carnivals, or recreational events utilizing public street access
  • Events occurring at night
  • Events involving remote locations, overnight camping, and fireworks
  • Events involving fast moving vehicles such as a motorcycle rally or motorized vehicle race
The Sheriff's Department does enforce the Noise Ordinance which specifies certain limitations of sound, measured in decibels, in particular locations. It also states hours of operation for certain decibel levels. If your event does present a level of sound that might be bothersome to adjacent properties, it is wise to contact the Special Event Coordinator or the Sheriff's Department ahead of time to make sure your event is planned properly for levels of generated "noise". Remember, one person's music may not be enjoyed by everyone in the neighborhood!

When planning to use Deputies as off-duty traffic or security personnel, make sure you contact the Lieutenant or Deputy in charge of the region in which your event is located. Pinal County Sheriff or Posse fees are quite reasonable compared to the private sector, but it is your choice as to who you use to manage the safety of your event. In any case, the Sheriff's Department may require you to maintain a certain number of qualified security guards on site, so this is a cost which should be considered in the planning stages of your event. A contract may be required for hiring of Deputies for your event.

No matter how large or small your event, safety of the public is always the number one concern. The Sheriff's Department is here to help, so please don't hesitate to ask questions of their trained staff when planning your event.
expandSpecial Events During COVID-19


Pinal County Government Web Disclaimer