County Home  |  Online Services  |  Visitors  |  Jobs  |  Government  |  Economic Development

Information for Family & Friends

This section answers many of the common questions friends and family members of defendants have. It also allows you to look up your next court date. This information is subject to change without notice. It should not be used in place of the advice and information given by an attorney.

Look Up a Client’s Next Court Date

Do not discuss the alleged crime with the defendant.
Anything the defendant tells you can be used against him or her. You can be called as a witness even if you don’t want to testify. Telephone calls from and visits at the jail are recorded and can be used against the defendant.
Do not contact a victim, witness, or co-defendant.
Defendants are often ordered not to have contact with a victim, witness, or co-defendant in the case. That includes third party contact, meaning it is a violation of his or her release conditions for the defendant to pass messages to those people though you or someone else. If you contact those people, it may look like the defendant asked you to even if he or she did not.

In addition, it is illegal to tamper with witnesses. If you speak to a victim, witness, or co-defendant it may appear that you are trying to influence them and you may get into trouble yourself.
Do not send letters directly to the judge or prosecutor!
Please, do not send letters directly to the judge, prosecutor, or anyone else in the court system. Do not call or e-mail those people. What you say to them may hurt the defendant, even if you think it will help. If you want to send a letter to the judge, address it “Dear Judge __________,” but send it to the defendant’s attorney. The attorney will review it and forward it to the judge if and when it is helpful.
Can I talk to the attorney?
Please understand that an attorney’s obligation is to his or her client. An attorney is not required to talk to a client’s friends or family. This is true even if the client is a juvenile or an adult with a guardian. Also, an attorney cannot discuss a client’s case with anyone unless the client gives the attorney permission to talk to that person.
That being said, attorneys are often willing to talk to friends and family members to get information about their clients and about the alleged crime(s). If you have information or questions for an attorney, please call the Public Defender’s Office at (520) 866-7199. If the attorney is not available to talk to you when you call, be sure to leave a detailed message. Include your name, the name of the client you are calling about, a brief description of the information or question you want to discuss with the attorney, and a telephone number where you can be reached.
If you are the named victim in a criminal case, you have certain rights under Arizona law and the Arizona Constitution. One of those is the right not to speak to the defense attorney. A public defender cannot contact you if you are listed as a victim. If you want to speak to a public defender, you can call the Public Defender’s Office at 520-866-7199.

If you are the parent of a juvenile client and you are also the named victim in your child's case, these rights apply to you. Your child's attorney cannot contact you. If you would like to talk to your child's attorney, you may initiate contact by calling the Public Defender’s Office at 520-866-7199.
How do I post bond?
A secured bond can be posted with money or a piece of property worth at least as much as the bond amount. Bond can be posted at the jail with a cashier’s check or money order. It can be posted at the Pinal County Superior Court Clerk’s Office with title to a piece of property. You can also use a bail bondsman. A bail bondsman will usually require 10% of the bond amount in cash and title to a piece of property.

A cash-only bond can only be posted with a cashier’s check or money order. It cannot be posted with title to property. If you post bond through the jail or the Clerk’s Office and the defendant follows all of his or her release conditions, the money and/or title will be returned when the case is resolved. A bail bondsman will usually keep the 10% but return the title when the case is resolved. If the defendant violates his or her release conditions, the Court or bail bondsman may keep your money or title.
What is a third party?
The Court can release a defendant to the third party custody of another person. If you are a third party signer, your job is to be a tattle tale. You must inform the Court if the defendant violates any of the conditions of release. This includes leaving the state, missing court, using drugs, contacting someone he or she has been ordered not to contact, committing a new crime, etc. If you know that the defendant is violating his release conditions and you do not report it to the Court, you can be fined or even put in jail. As long as you report the violation immediately, you will not be fined or jailed.
Jail Visitation
If your friend or family member is in the Pinal County Jail and you have questions about visitation, please call the jail at 520-866-5021.
What happens at a __________ hearing?
The sections of this webpage designed for clients contain basic information about the criminal court system, including a description of the standard hearings in adult and juvenile cases. Please refer to those pages, but remember, they are written for clients.

Click here for basic information about the juvenile criminal court system
Click here for basic information about the adult criminal court system
Remember, the Judge wouldn’t have put you on probation if he or she didn't think you could do it.

Pinal County Government Web Disclaimer