County Home  |  Online Services  |  Visitors  |  Jobs  |  Government  |  Economic Development

What is considered household hazardous waste? 

The EPA defines household hazardous waste as "leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable, or reactive ingredients."    

Materials that can cause skin damage to people or any substance that can significantly corrode metal.  Such items: bleach, ammonia, various household cleaners. 

Materials that are poisonous, as in causing illness or death.  Such items:  antifreeze and gasoline. 

Materials have potential to ignite during routine handling due to friction or heat sources, or contact with other chemicals.  Alcohol is a prime example.

Reactive Ingredients
Materials that tend to react spontaneously during routine handling.  Can react vigorously with air or water, unstable to shock or heat, can generate toxic gases, or explode.  Mixing bleach and ammonia is a common reactive combination which will expel a toxic gas.

Can I put paint cans in the trash? 

You can dispose of latex paint in the regular trash if done in a proper manner.  Add equal parts of kitty litter to latex paint in the can.  The mixture must be of equal parts in order to dry out the paint, one part paint to one part kitty litter.  If you have more than a half a can of paint, you can pour the paint into a lined cardboard box and then pour in the cat litter.  You can also buy paint hardener at any local hardware store to do the same effect.   

How do I properly dispose of medical syringes? 

The growing number of patients self-injecting medications at home has led to more improper disposal of syringes in landfills.  Pinal County Public Works suggest the following as a proper method of disposal. 

Please place syringes in a plastic puncture proof container such as a laundry detergent bottle.  Tape the lid close with duct tape for added security.  Then please write 'Sharps', 'Not for Recycle' on the container and then place the sealed bottle in the trash.  

Bottom Line 

If ever you are unsure about certain items, it is best to determine them hazardous for precaution.  You can find locations that specifically take household hazardous waste.  Properly disposing such items prevents harmful effects to our environment, community, and love ones.

In Pinal County there is a location where household hazardous waste can be
properly disposed. 
Heritage Environmental Services is located at 284 E. Storey Road, Coolidge Az 85128.

Heritage Environmental Services charges $1 lb for Hazardous and $0.50 lb for Non-Hazardous.  They only take check or money order as form of payment. 

Please call 520-723-4167 for more information, hours of operations, and any questions you may have. 

Heritage Environmental Services will take such general items but not limited to:  Aerosol products, ammonia, antifreeze, auto fluids, auto batteries, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), drain cleaners, fertilizer, fire extinguishers, fireworks, flares, fluorescent tubes, gasoline, herbicides, household cleaners, insecticides, isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), kerosene, lawn chemicals, lighter fluid, mercury thermometers, motor oil, nail polish/remover, paint, pesticides, photo chemicals, pool chemicals, propane tanks, rechargeable batteries, rust remover, solvents, spot remover, turpentine, weed killer, wood stain, wood stripper, etc. 

We highly recommend you call with questions prior to bringing certain items.

Available Service

Environmental Services:
284 E. Storey Road
Coolidge, AZ 85128


Days of Operations:
Monday - Friday
6:00 am - 2:00 pm

Hazardous Materials
.75 cents per pound

Non-hazardous Materials
.25 cents per pound

Discourage Illegal Dumping

You can help discourage illegal dumping by calling the Pinal County Illegal Dumping Hotline.


Environmental Health Services has information on Illegal Dumping.  Click Here

File Complaint:
Click Here



Pinal County Government Web Disclaimer