County Home  |  Online Services  |  Visitors  |  Jobs  |  Government  |  Economic Development
Sheriff's Office

How Do I Retrieve My Impounded Vehicle?

How Do I Retrieve My Vehicle?

Before requesting a hearing, please determine if you even need a hearing by visiting the Impounded Vehicle Information page.

If your vehicle was towed By the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office as a result of a violation of ARS 28-3511, then the following applies:

To obtain the release of your vehicle prior to the expiration of the thirty (30) days, a Post Storage Hearing must be scheduled with the Tow Hearing Specialist by calling (520)866-5277 and leaving a message with your contact information. The hearing officer will call you at the number(s) you provide within 5 business days (excluding holidays and weekends). If the hearing officer cannot reach you, the vehicle release will be denied.

  • Hearings are by appointment only and walk-ins/telephone hearings will not be accepted.
  • Hearings must be scheduled within ten (10) days of the vehicle being towed. After the ten (10) days have elapsed, a hearing will not be granted.
  • The hearings are to determine the validity of the impoundment or to determine whether the vehicle may be released prior to the end of the thirty (30) day impoundment period.
  • Hearings are held at the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office, located at 971 North Jason Lopez Circle, Building C, Florence, Arizona, 85132. Hearings will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting at 1000 a.m. each day.
  • An Administrative Towing Fee of one hundred and fifty dollars ($150) is payable in cashiers check, money order or any major credit card (five dollar processing fee on credit cards) at the time of the Post Storage Hearing, no other form of payment will be accepted, and exact change is required.
  • In certain situations, the spouse of the owner may enter into an agreement with the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office, stating that they will not allow a driver who had been arrested for Extreme or Aggravated DUI, or a minor who had been in possession of alcohol, to drive the vehicle for one year. If the agreement is violated, there is no relief available from the thirty (30) day impoundment period.
  • The vehicle may be released to the lien holder or repossession agent identified on the Motor Vehicle Division record, before the end of the thirty (30) day impoundment period.

Only the vehicle owner, owner’s spouse, owner’s agent (lawyer), or lien holder may request a hearing. You must have been listed on the registration of the vehicle AT THE TIME OF THE IMPOUNDMENT as an owner or lien holder to qualify for a hearing. In most cases, the hearing officer will make an immediate ruling on whether or not the vehicle may be released early. Hearings are generally held within five working days of receipt of the request. A lawyer is not required. The hearings are informal and do not take long. Read the following conditions carefully to see which may make this vehicle eligible for early release:

** Providing false or misleading information is a crime **

  • The vehicle had been stolen prior to being impounded (a police report is required);
  • You are the owner, and you were cited for driving on a license that was invalid, but your license is now re-instated and valid. Unless, you were also charged with aggravated or extreme DUI. If you are the owner and were charged with Extreme or Aggravated DUI, you are not eligible;
  • The vehicle was driven by an employee of a business (including a parking service or repair garage) and the employer’s vehicle is subject to bailment, as in a leased vehicle;
  • The owner’s driver license has been reinstated; ( you must satisfy any court issues as well as have it re-instated by the motor vehicle division);
  • It is a rental vehicle or a loaner vehicle from a company, not owned by the driver (and it was not being driven by an employee or owner of the rental vehicle company at the time of impoundment);
  • The owner or owner’s spouse (NOT the person driving the vehicle at the time of impoundment) enters into an agreement with the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office for one year promising not to allow this vehicle to be operated in violation of ARS 28-3511 or it will not be eligible for early release for future violations of ARS 28-3511;
  • It is required by a court to be equipped with a certified ignition interlock device and proof of installation is shown to the hearing officer either during the hearing or when arriving at the sheriff’s office for your vehicle release;
  • It has been repossessed (foreclosure documents or an affidavit of repossession required); OR
  • It is determined the vehicle was improperly impounded by the officer.
  • At the conclusion of the hearing, you will be notified if the vehicle is eligible for immediate release (a copy of the hearing decision will be provided to you). If your request is denied, you must wait until the 30-day impound period has expired and follow the instructions above. If your request is approved, you will receive a Vehicle Release Form from the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office.
  • Except for properly reported stolen vehicles or improperly impounded vehicles, the vehicle owner is responsible for all fees relating to the impoundment.

To obtain the release of your vehicle once the thirty (30) day impoundment period has expired, you may obtain release paperwork at the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office, located at 971 North Jason Lopez Circle, Building C, Florence, Arizona, 85132, by:

  • Paying the one hundred and fifty dollar ($150) Administrative Towing Fee in cash, no other form of payment will be accepted, and you must have exact change.
If your vehicle was towed By the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office as a result of a violation of ARS 28-872:
  • The vehicle owner or authorized representative may claim this vehicle at any time (see "How Do I Retrieve My Vehicle") from the towing company named on the front of the Vehicle Impound Report.
  • You must show the towing company photo identification and proof of ownership in order for this vehicle to be released to you.
  • The owner of the vehicle is liable for all towing fees and storage charges. These fees and charges are set by a contract between the towing company and the Sheriff’s Office.

Other FAQ
Where do I register as a Sex Offender?
How do I order a police report?
Obtain alarm permit forms or contact the Alarm Unit?
How do I order an accident report?
What happens to narcotics after they have been seized by officers?
Someone I know was just arrested. Who do I call to find out where they were taken?
How do I get crime statistics?
What documents do I need to attend a Vehicle Impound Hearing?
I want to know if someone has been served an order of protection I filed. Who do I call?
I need to be fingerprinted for a job or for adoption, foster care; does the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office do public fingerprinting?
How do I request copies of photos?
How do I research Sex Offender living in my community?
How do I get bond info or visitation?
Where do I get info on court dates or location?
I am the victim of internet fraud. How do I make a complaint?
How do I find employment opportunities?
I loaned my personal property to someone and they are refusing to return it. Who do I call?
How do I volunteer at PCSO and what are the types of volunteer opportunities?
I think a loved one might be using methamphetamine. What signs do I look for? Who call I call?
How do I report the activity of Illegal Aliens/Smuggling?
I wish to obtain a burn permit. What steps do I take?
How do I find out the status of my case? How do I give additional information on my case?
I would like to file a complaint on a Pinal County Sheriff’s Office employee. How do I do that?
How do I apply for the position of Reserve Deputy Sheriff?
The Sheriff’s Office took my property during an arrest; how do I get it back?
I have a court order for the release of my property; how do I make arrangements to pick up my property?
My vehicle was towed last night, do you have it?
How do I pick up my vehicle from PCSO, and is there a charge?
If my insurance company paid my claim and the property is recovered can I have it back?
What type of activity should I report?
Why does the operator keep asking me questions? If they just sent the police, they would find out all they need to know.
Why do they send the police even when I called back and told them everything was okay?
When I call the communications department, why do I get someone different every time?
Why won’t they let me talk to a deputy when I call in?
Do I have a warrant?
I’ve missed some payments on my court ordered fine and I probably have a warrant, how do I take care of it without being arrested?
I am currently receiving Social Security supplements or Veterans Benefits and
I know a certain person has a warrant for his/her arrest and I know where they can be found.
My relative or friend is in your custody on a warrant out of another county or state, when are they going to be transferred to the other agency?
How do I apply for a posted position with Pinal County Sheriff’s Office?
What is the testing process for deputy cadet?
What is the testing process for Detention Officer?
What forms do I need to complete prior to my interview with the Background Investigator?
What are PCSO Human Resources hours of operation?
How do I contact PCSO Human Resources Department?
How do I obtain information on the Correctional Officer Retirement Plan System (CORPS)?
How do I obtain information on the Public Safety Retirement System (PSRS)?
How do I obtain information on the Arizona State Retirement (ARS) for civilians/non-officers?
How long is the probationary period for new employees?
How do I obtain information about Compensation and Benefits?
What is FMLA?
How do I contact Pinal County’s Insurance Carrier?
Where can I obtain Flexible Spending Account information & forms?
How can I send an anonymous tip to the Narcotics Task Force?
Where can I find the Pinal County Noise Ordinance?
Provided is a list of Detention Center Phone #’s (520)
What do I do when I see an emergency vehicle running code (lights and siren) behind me?
How Do I Retrieve My Impounded Vehicle?
How do I file a Complaint?
Can alarm fees be waived?
How to recognize a PCSO Deputy for a job well done?

Pinal County Government Web Disclaimer